Someone else just read this book!

Contributed by: Wen Di (Library)

1. What was the current need/gap that you were addressing?

Currently after the students returned the books, we will double return and keep them on the trolley to be shelved back. During the transit period, students got no access to the recently returned books. Sometimes they will approach me for the books based on the word of mouth recommendation from their classmates or friends. Then I started to think about a way to solve this problem. I started to search information online and try to visit other libraries to see what is their practice. During the visit to other libraries when I attended the school open house with my children, I realized that some libraries may have a designated section to hold the recently returned books near entrance area. There will be a stand or shelve to hold the books so that the students can browse the recently returned books and know what are the books their schoolmates are reading. Needless to say, the most of the recently returned books are popular ones amongst students.

2. How had it been experimented and enacted?

I started to think about our own corner/section to keep the recently returned books, where and how. I identified the area beside the new arrival display table for this section where the just returned books could be accessible to our students who are looking for new books. I need to source the furniture i.e. book stand or shelve to hold the books as well. After testing and evaluation, I decided to reuse our existing rotating book stand to save the budget (while it could serve the same purpose). I worked out a signage and put on top of the stand, and then started to fill in the books on the stand.

3. Which group(s) had benefited?
Students (Entire Cohort)

4. What was the positive impact?
I pushed out this stand in the last week of term 2. In the beginning the students might not be aware of this section. With the restart of school in term 3, more and more students start to notice this area and take the books off the stand to borrow. I am also testing the students tastes. Some might be taken very soon while some remain there after a while. Based on the students reading preferences, and my knowledge about the books, I will select the books to be displayed on stand. Once the books taken, I will replenish. While for the books seem not moving, I will remove them and shelve back.

5. What is a future need that this IdEas@work could meet?
It will be a good try out and we may get to know our students’ reading taste and what genre are popular amongst them. The future acquisition of books/e-books could be done based on our observations and judgement. It is one effective way to raise awareness of readers and increase the readership. In future we could explore other ways to promote reading.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dragon Chinese( Longwenhuayu) 龙文华语

Vouchers as birthday gifts for all staff

INTERNAL HCL ORAL EXAM